Israel’s Netanyahu stands firm on Rafah offensive despite U.S. tensions

Israel’s Netanyahu stands firm on Rafah offensive despite U.S. tensions

Watch the full interview live on CNBC here.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu acknowledged tensions with historical ally the U.S. over the military offensive in Rafah in the Gaza Strip, but stood firm that the operation is required to protect Israeli security.

“Yes, we do have a disagreement on Gaza. Rather, on Rafah. But we have to do what we have to do,” Netanyahu said Wednesday, in an interview with CNBC’s Sara Eisen. “And, you know, sometimes you have to … you just have to do what is required to ensure your survival and your future. We cannot continue into the future by having Hamas retake Gaza.”

The U.S. and other nations have expressed concerns over Israel deepening its offensive into Rafah, citing fears over the safety of Palestinian civilians caught in the crossfire of Israel’s war against Palestinian militant group Hamas.

“I hope we can see eye to eye with the United States, we’re talking to them, but ultimately we do what we have to do to protect the life of our nation,” Netanyahu said.

Earlier this week, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken stressed that Washington could not endorse a Rafah military incursion in the absence of a “credible” plan to safeguard civilians.

“Absent a credible plan to get them out of harm’s way and to support them, the President’s been clear for some time that we couldn’t and would not support a major military operation in Rafah,” he said in an interview with NBC’s Meet the Press, according to a readout from the U.S. State Department.

This breaking news story is being updated.

Original news source Credit: www.cnbc.com

You must be logged in to post a comment Login