She stressed that “this data can be sold on the dark web if the user has a prepaid subscription, or can be used later to add credibility to malicious schemes via e-mail, such as asking users to pay money to restore their account, or for blackmail.”
Further risks arise when the login data is the same for other important accounts, which can allow criminals to hack social media accounts or e-mails, and possibly even bank accounts.
How to keep your Netflix account secure
- Use a password unique to Netflix and change it regularly.
- Do not use the same password on Netflix that you use for other websites or apps.
- Your password should be unique to Netflix and not used for other websites or apps.
- At least 8 characters long.
- A combination of letters, numbers, and symbols using both upper and lower-case letters.
- Not easily guessed – such as “password,” “12345,” or your personal information (name, birthday, address).
How to avoid phishing attacks
Kaspersky recommended a number of steps that residents can take to avoid falling victim to phishing attempts. The most important one is to always verify the web addresses contained in unknown or unexpected messages, whether it is the address of the website or a hyperlink attached in the message.
Avoid entering your login data when you are not sure if the website is authentic. However, if you accidentally do so, immediately change your password and contact your bank or payment service provider if you suspect that the card details have been compromised.